Missing boarding a Pegasus flight due to overbooking
What to do if you miss a flight because the Turkish carrier overbooked it? The European regulation collects all the rights of passengers when situations such as overbooking, occur
Pegasus flight overbooked? without a doubt, this is one of the most common fears when the holiday period approaches and we have everything ready to go. Missing a flight is one of the worst things that can happen, whether it’s our fault or someone else’s, and it’s also more common than you might think.
Due to their overbooking, several passengers saw their plane take off without them. This situation causes them anger and stress, and it is for this reason that they deserve to be compensated by their carrier.
Does overbooking on the plane give right to compensation?
According to Law 261/2004EC protecting the rights of air passengers, the airline that engages in overselling must compensate the passenger.
In the event that the passenger is transferred to another flight of the same airline or another, he will be compensated according to the waiting time until the departure of this other flight and his arrival.
A legal practice in the European Union, to sell as many tickets as possible on the flight, knowing that many people won’t show up, but it’s a risk that sometimes takes its toll. Therefore, if this happens, there are two possible scenarios:
– Voluntary overbooking: You propose to take another plane, for which the airline will reimburse the ticket.
– Involuntary overbooking: In this case it is the company that prevents you from boarding, being obliged to return the money for the trip and to offer you financial compensation.
When you are told your flight has been overbooked, you should follow these steps:
– Keep your boarding pass or any document containing the booking confirmation code.
– Request an alternative flight, compensation or reimbursement of the amount of the ticket depending on the case.
– If it’s an overbooking while you’re already at the airport and have to wait longer than expected, ask the airline to cover your meals.
– In case you have to spend the night waiting for another flight, you can ask the airline to provide you with a hotel room.
Passengers who are victims of overbooking are entitled to financial compensation
Every user of air transport has rights which are established in the European Community Regulation (EC) 261/2004 on cancellation, compensation and assistance to air passengers:
If Pegasus is the cause of the overbooking, it is required to provide information on the steps that the victim passengers must take to obtain compensation.
Compensation can be made in cash, check, transfer or travel vouchers from the company itself. The amount will depend on the distance of the flight and whether you offer alternative transport with a delay of less than three hours. The compensation varies according to the distance of the journey and the destination:
– On flights up to 1,500 km, passengers can claim compensation of €250
– When the distance of the flight is between 1,500 km and 3,500 km, the compensation provided for a delayed flight is €400.
– On a flight of more than 3,500 km, passengers can obtain compensation of €600 for the canceled flight.
In addition, when a flight is overbooked, the consumer has the right to request:
– Reimbursement of the total price of the ticket, if he refuses the alternative transport solutions offered by his airline Pegasus,
– An alternative transport, by plane or by train,
– Alternative transport at a later date.
At the time of his presence at the airport, the traveler affected by the overbooking is entitled to assistance, supply of food and drink while waiting for alternative transport.